Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe Sunflower Seed Butter Chickens 2016 Handmade Quilt Spring 2016 Garden Needlefelted Fairy Tabletop Fountain


Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Major spinning project done!

The following is not fiber-porn by a long shot. It is snaps of the blue fox blend of fiber I have been spinning. As one can guess, I am done. there is a smidgen left, enough for one more skein. I put it back on the shelf for now.

Above, are the 11 skeins. All together there is 3033 yards. I think there is enough for a sweater. Maybe. I had not spun in so long, I kind-of went crazy, spinning day and night. I really enjoyed it. The snap next to the skeins are of the skeins (obviously) after being wound off with a ball winder.
The snap above, which was very hard to get because of the shade of gray, is of the pattern stitch for the sweater I started after swatching first with the recommended #7s. I ended up going up one needle size to #8s to get gauge with the pattern stitch used. The pattern is free from Berrocco's Knitbits site, The Celsian. I am not using two different colors striping through, just the one yarn. It will look different without the color changes. The construction is different from any other item I have knitted. This sweater will be a challenge. I hope to have it finished in time to at least wear it once before it gets hot.

I had a good 3" done when I realized that the cast-on with #9s, (one size bigger,) was not enough. After switching to #8s after casting on, it did not have enough stretch and the bottom curved in a little. ugh. I grabbed another ball and cast-on with #10s. Much better. I used the Norwegian cast-on, a twisted one that has a nice, stretchy edge. One can Google links with videos and snaps for that method.

I had to go up to the 44" (large) to cover the Great Tracks of Land with ease. I am not using a stick to close it. I highly doubt I will add anything. I rarely zip or button sweaters.

Back to knitting....

1 comment :

  1. A loud round of applause please for the Spinning Wench!