Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe

Description

Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Sauteed Radishes Non-Recipe

Or... What to do with a good crop of radishes.

There is only so many salads one can eat in a day. After a bumper crop of radishes, I was leaning towards pickling them. A slight nose-wrinkle appeared at the thought. Do not get me wrong, I love pickled vegetables. I wanted to try something different. I searched around online and came across sauteed radishes. Interesting, and rather weird. I was game.

I scrubbed them, then topped and cut the roots. I give the latter to the chickens, who devour them with gusto. I sliced them about 1/8" to 1/16" thick. That is not all them pictured. There were more still in the colander.

The recipes online used olive oil to saute them. I am not a fan of olive oil and use it rarely. I normally use coconut oil, butter, or a combo of the two. For this batch, I used a pat or two of butter.

I chopped some onion and started that sauteing first. When they were about halfway towards translucent, I added the radishes, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of granulated garlic, being out of fresh garlic that day. I sauteed them until just-tender.

They were absolutely delicious! They had the slight brassica and bite flavors of a good radish, yet had the flavor of zucchini squash to them. We have a new favorite side dish. I forgot to get a finished photo. They are a sauteed vegetable, and look like any other vegetable prepared the same way- maybe a slight bit of golden color to them.

The next batch of radishes, I will pressure-can them, plain, in 1/2 pint jars. I think they would be a nice addition to soups and stews, too. Using them for a saute side-dish, I would first cook the onions and garlic and add the radishes when the onions were done, letting the radishes warm and take in the other flavors just enough for extra flavor, yet not allow them to get mushy.

Who knew radishes were not just for salads?



I harvested out first ripened peas this week. After doing a hot-pack pressure canning, I ended up with 6 pints and one 1/2 pint. The next harvesting, I will can the peas in 1/2 pints. I share them with my daughter, she is the only one who loves peas, too, in her little family. Himself loves our home-grown peas. He will not touch commercially-grown ones, finding them flavorless and tough. I have to share. I am a nice person, ya know...

This first batch filled the giant colander and a big bowl. I would of loved for there to be as much peas as pods. It looks like the second harvest will be just as decent as the first.


Though they are hard to see in all of the greenery on our property, the added height poles stuck into the trellis, (a couple of arrows in the photo to help), shows the most prolific plantings. Surprisingly, these are Burpee organic "Garden Sweet" peas. The pea vines in further back rows are just 3' tall. So much for the fancy high-end organic varieties I have been planting before. They have not produced half as much.You can see the red and green leaf lettuces at the base of the tallest pea vines.

We have more than enough lettuces. That is not the only spot I have lettuce. I planted just as it started to rain. My pinches of lettuce seeds were too big. I did not kill the extra sprouts when they appeared. I instead put them in all of the spots I could squeeze them into. I need to get a hold of our neighbor to take some bunches to, or see what one can do with so much lettuce a rabbit would go into a coma trying to eat it all. Two are leaf lettuces. The ones to the far right is red head lettuce. I have never seen that before. The bright green one is Simpson Elite and the red one is Red Sails. They are very tasty lettuces to us.

No comments :

Post a Comment