Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe

Description

Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup Recipe, spinning blather

I made some today. The spinning gabbing is after the recipe.

Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

For the soup I peeled about 5 pounds of potatoes, then chopped them into bite-sized pieces. I covered the potatoes in water and simmered until they were soft. While they were cooking, Himself fried up 5 or 6 strips of bacon. I took 3 large leeks, cut off the root part and the area where the light green part is going into the dark green leaves. I sliced the leeks in half length-wise, washing them well. I chopped them fine and sauteed them in about 3 Tbsp. of Butter.

When the potatoes were done, I drained them completely. I put one-third of the potatoes back into the pot and mashed them, then added the remaining potatoes. I dumped the sauteed leeks on the potatoes. I then poured one (32 oz) carton of chicken broth over it all. I salted and peppered almost to taste. He does not like pepper the way I do. I then crumbled the bacon over it, stirred and brought it to a simmer. It simmered for 20 minutes, the mashed 'tators thickening the soup and allowing the flavors to blend. I left out the milk or cream for this first try.

It was delicious, coupled with buttered cheese rolls. One can add onions, chives, a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle a little cheddar over the bowl, and/or about 2 cups of milk or cream to the soup. We wanted it plain. We never had leeks before and wanted the full-flavor. They are now on our shopping list. They like a mild scallion, burps are not included. I made enough for tomorrow. This is a keeper for us. Maybe we will sprinkle a little cheddar and chives over our bowls tomorrow. Or maybe not.



I have been spinning the last few days. It is the wool-blend I mentioned in an earlier post of 60% English lambswool blended with 40% Canadian blue fox (combings). I tried to spin it "fatter" to no avail.





Yesterday I became so relaxed, I ended up curling up on the couch and nodding off for an hour. Oof. I do not normally nap.


The photos are of my Alden Amos Canadian Production Wheel. I put on the plying head to ply the first two filled bobbins of singles. I am lazy with a vain hope of spinning fatter, so I left the plying head on. Of course, being from the Murphy family, my spinning is still thin. I may ply a third ply or resign myself to making a sweater on small needles. It would be ready for next... winter? Looking at the thin singles on those big ol' bobbins, I figure each time I ply them together may take a day or two. Ah well. the yarn is very soft and feels nice to the touch.

I made soup today. I found a recipe for Potato Leek Soup from Ireland. I dropped an ingredient and did not put in the leek leaves. I bet that was a misprint. The idea of trying to ingest those leaves is not pleasing. Himself suggested an odorous basket woven from them. No thanks. You just go ahead and I will watch. Himself put them in the trash.

Update May 18, 2013
I now grow my own potatoes and leeks. I also can my own chicken broth and bacon. Yes, canned bacon. So far, it works best for adding to foods, since I cut the strips in half when I canned them. This soup has become a regular for us that is very cheap and nourishing. I now put it in the crock pot, after cooking up the bacon first. It makes for an easy end to a busy day. A couple of mashes here and there in the crock pot and then a stir, gives the same effect as the stove-top version.

No comments :

Post a Comment