Potato and Leek Soup Recipe, spinning blather

I made some today. The spinning gabbing is after the recipe.

Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

For the soup I peeled about 5 pounds of potatoes, then chopped them into bite-sized pieces. I covered the potatoes in water and simmered until they were soft. While they were cooking, Himself fried up 5 or 6 strips of bacon. I took 3 large leeks, cut off the root part and the area where the light green part is going into the dark green leaves. I sliced the leeks in half length-wise, washing them well. I chopped them fine and sauteed them in about 3 Tbsp. of Butter.

When the potatoes were done, I drained them completely. I put one-third of the potatoes back into the pot and mashed them, then added the remaining potatoes. I dumped the sauteed leeks on the potatoes. I then poured one (32 oz) carton of chicken broth over it all. I salted and peppered almost to taste. He does not like pepper the way I do. I then crumbled the bacon over it, stirred and brought it to a simmer. It simmered for 20 minutes, the mashed 'tators thickening the soup and allowing the flavors to blend. I left out the milk or cream for this first try.

It was delicious, coupled with buttered cheese rolls. One can add onions, chives, a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle a little cheddar over the bowl, and/or about 2 cups of milk or cream to the soup. We wanted it plain. We never had leeks before and wanted the full-flavor. They are now on our shopping list. They like a mild scallion, burps are not included. I made enough for tomorrow. This is a keeper for us. Maybe we will sprinkle a little cheddar and chives over our bowls tomorrow. Or maybe not.



I have been spinning the last few days. It is the wool-blend I mentioned in an earlier post of 60% English lambswool blended with 40% Canadian blue fox (combings). I tried to spin it "fatter" to no avail.





Yesterday I became so relaxed, I ended up curling up on the couch and nodding off for an hour. Oof. I do not normally nap.


The photos are of my Alden Amos Canadian Production Wheel. I put on the plying head to ply the first two filled bobbins of singles. I am lazy with a vain hope of spinning fatter, so I left the plying head on. Of course, being from the Murphy family, my spinning is still thin. I may ply a third ply or resign myself to making a sweater on small needles. It would be ready for next... winter? Looking at the thin singles on those big ol' bobbins, I figure each time I ply them together may take a day or two. Ah well. the yarn is very soft and feels nice to the touch.

I made soup today. I found a recipe for Potato Leek Soup from Ireland. I dropped an ingredient and did not put in the leek leaves. I bet that was a misprint. The idea of trying to ingest those leaves is not pleasing. Himself suggested an odorous basket woven from them. No thanks. You just go ahead and I will watch. Himself put them in the trash.

Update May 18, 2013
I now grow my own potatoes and leeks. I also can my own chicken broth and bacon. Yes, canned bacon. So far, it works best for adding to foods, since I cut the strips in half when I canned them. This soup has become a regular for us that is very cheap and nourishing. I now put it in the crock pot, after cooking up the bacon first. It makes for an easy end to a busy day. A couple of mashes here and there in the crock pot and then a stir, gives the same effect as the stove-top version.

Deb

I am a bit ecclectic. This blog is whimsical musings about my various interests and sharing things I am learning. If anything, it will be a good sleeping pill, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment