Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe

Description

Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

My dog is getting better

Maggie's last blood test came out within normal ranges. Her platelets dropped after the decrease of the prednisone, but they are still are within the normal ranges. The vet says that her bone marrow seems to be doing its job. I found a lot of tiny meals are preferable to fewer larger meals. She is hungry all the time from the med, plus she is under-weight now. Too much food gives her a tummy ache.

Things they do not tell you about giving your dog prednisone-
  • Their muscles can atrophy. L-carnitine was suggested. I hope it helps Maggie soon. She is weak in the back legs. The muscles seemed to of disappeared overnight. Eek!
  • They need something to prevent constipation. 1 tsp. per 10 lbs of dog on the food did the trick.
  • Lots of widdling. She has not made it to the pad or getting outside soon enough twice. I hope this will not be a permanent problem and will call the vet if it continues.
  • We are using pepcid a/c with her medicine doses. It might prevent stomach ulcers.

Prednisone is downright nasty. It did save her life. They did not test for tick-borne diseases. The vet says there are so many, it is better to treat the possibility with antibiotics right off. Maggie is better. I am taking each day at a time. The health food store suggested MSM for her joints once she is off the prednisoneor on tiny doses.

In other news... Nothing, really. I am trying out an artist's dragon graph using square stitch beading. So far, it is "okay". I finished the pillow cover. I used a bland green cotton fleece. The beginning and ending edges are in seed stitch. I used a basket-weave pattern for the middle. The pillow looks much nicer, not that anyone sees it but me as I pass the couch.

No comments :

Post a Comment