Allergy Cough Syrup Recipe and more

]I did make one potion. (no photos, sorry.) Himself had re-broken a rib. He was healing well, even going out and rototilling for me so I could expand the garden. (It makes it easier to "fork" the soil, add stuff to amend, etc., if rototilled first.) Unfortunately, it set off his allergies. He got stuffy with coughing... and yep, re-broke the re-broken rib. He is still coughing, does not want to take anything the doc offers or OTC stuff. I did some reading and came up with the following:



Allergy Cough Syrup

1/4 cup dried echinacea leaves
1/4 cup peeled and grated ginger root
1/4 cup dried thyme
1 oz. licorice root, sliced
4 cups (filtered) water

Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for at least an hour on very low heat to fully infuse the herbs. Strain. (I use a jelly bag, squeezing the herbs well to get every last drop. It would help if I let it cool a bit more before doing so. Ow.)

Put the infusion back into the (washed) saucepan. Add:

1 cup to 1-1/4 cups of local raw honey

Warm gently on very low heat, just enough to blend in the honey. Do not let get to a full simmer or boil. It ruins the honey and its good properties. Jar and keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 months. Adults can take 1 tbsp. every hour, or as needed. Himself said the flavor was not bad, almost pleasant. It seems to work quite well. (see disclaimer, of course. I have to cover my narrow hinny.) His "stuff" that seems to be stuck in his throat is gone and his infection seems to be getting better. (And insert that disclaimer...)

*Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or claim to be one. This recipe is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed as medical advice. Always see your favorite Medical, Voodoo, Hoodoo or Witch Doctor/Practitioner, Old Man Tree, Mr. Toad, etc., when you are sick, broken or having a bad day. Always research something on your own. I claim no responsibility nor can be held accountable for any reactions and/or any other undesirable results one may have if they follow and use this recipe, including zits, warts, smelling funny, and so on.



You can look at your favorite herbal to see why I chose the herbs I did. Making herb-infused syrups is quite easy and convenient. Caution, safety and, mostly importantly- common sense, is always a factor, of course. If Himself is not better soon, he agreed to maybe go to the clinic. (men...) He has been through dealing with a broken rib so many times, he is quite familiar with the SOP involved. Unfortunately, ribs do not truly heal. I need to find him some bone-strengthening things. He never cared for milk and will get kidney stones if he gets too much calcium. Danged either way? More research is in order, I guess.

Sally tends to hide when I am taking photos. I managed to get a couple. Sometimes, a smile can be scary? The new grain-free recipe I am using for her food is working out well. She really likes it. She gets a dollop of cottage cheese or organic yogurt (without any of the phony sugars, of course), for a snack mid-day. She needs a bib.

The link, again, for the site with the dog food recipe is:
Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer Homemade Dog Food Recipes

Scroll down a little for the recipe. She also has pages of nutritional info that is very good. I like her approach to training, food...

Sally does not like turmeric. I left that out and do not sprinkle it on her food. I do use the author's advice for sprinkles: 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast, 1-1/2 tsp ground flaxseed, a pinch of vitamin C powder. I also put to the side of her food- 2 tsp. of liquid glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM. Pomeranians tend towards knee and joint problems, including that thing in the throat. Supposedly the liquid will help fend any problems off.

I bought a couple of lilac bushes, teeny-weeny ones, last year. We were not sure if they would survive. One is still rather small with tiny dots for blooms. The other one is a bit bigger and has two large blooms. I am glad I got the photos when I did, we are have thunderstorms with hard downpours at the moment.

The tiger lilies are coming up. They remind me of the plants on the old "Addams Family" TV series. I think Morticia's favorite was named Cleo?

I have been working in the gardens, not spending much time making potions and the like. I did try the goats milk soap today. It has a faint scent of milk, one so light I may be imagining it. The lather was small but creamy. My skin felt quite nice after using the bar. I am happy with the results. Next try with goats milk, I will add a spot of honey, powdered almonds and oatmeal. I think it would be lovely.

I still have to note down every book I pulled off my bookshelves. 6 boxes to go through. And yet? My book shelves are almost as full as before! One small case did end up in the tiny craft room, holding a couple of shelves of beading stuff and 3 shelves of soapmaking stuff. (I still have to put the jugs of olive oil and such on the floor in front of the shelf unit.)

I have a busy day tomorrow. If the rains let up, I must finished planting some of the seeds. Hopefully those seeds that I planted this morn have not washed away. Add my one room a day thorough cleaning, making pizza from scratch for a few nights of dinner and... No rest for the wicked. I hope I have not bored anyone too much. I do go on...

Oooooo! The lightening and thunder has started. It is quite spectacular. It will be hard to get Sally to do her business before bed. She does not like thunder, like most dogs.

Sally says, "Night!"

Deb

I am a bit ecclectic. This blog is whimsical musings about my various interests and sharing things I am learning. If anything, it will be a good sleeping pill, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment