Homemade Chicken "Flock Block" Recipe

The girls took peck at the flock block I made, then stepped back. They gave it their "evil eye". It was something new, that means it is evil until one becomes brave chicken. Even sprinkling dried meal worms on top, they were leery, though they did get the meal worms all around it. I then broke it in half. A few pecks, but they stayed away. One finally tried it and they ate a little. The tiny one, broken in acouple of bits, got a warmer reception from the babies. Yes, they got chick grit beforehand.

This recipe is softish. If you search the forum, there are other recipes that use the oven or microwave and water for the binder. No one used their dehydrator, or mentioned it.

I got the recipe from Backyard Chickens dot com. By mckolls, post #4, as she wrote it.

Backyard Chickens Homemade Flock Block Thread

Homemade Seed Block

1-1/2 cup boiling water
8 Tbsp cold water
1 ounce unflavored gelatin
2 Tbsp black strap molasses
8 cups of any seed, grain, fruit, and nut combination.
  1. Boil 1 1/2 cup water.
  2. In a large bowl mix 1 ounce of gelatin in 8 tablespoons of cold water and let set for 1 minute.
  3. Add boiling water to gelatin mixture and stir for 2-3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
  4. Add molasses and mix well.
  5. Stir in 8 cups of dry seed, grain, fruit and nut combination into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
  6. Let the mixture set for a few minutes, stir again. Repeat several times to allow the seed mixture to absorb the liquid.
  7. Spoon the mixture into a greased bundt or angel food cake pan, or into smaller containers using a shot glass in the center to make a hole for hanging. (Hanging is optional)
  8. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Remove the seed block from the pan or containers by inverting.
Allow the seed block to dry on a cooling rack overnight or longer if necessary.

For my first batch I used oats, cracked corn, BOSS, ground flax seed, hazelnuts, peanuts, raisins, and amaranth.

I wanted small blocks for this first batch so I used single container disposable ware. Treat size for one day for my 32- 8-week old chicks. I didn't want it to set overnight in the pen - no rodent feeding for me. I didn't need to worry. They loved it.

Deb

I am a bit ecclectic. This blog is whimsical musings about my various interests and sharing things I am learning. If anything, it will be a good sleeping pill, no?

1 comment:

  1. thank you ! I will get busy on the new treat. I don't like to buy the ones from the commercial folks .Not cheap and God only knows what is in them for real.

    ReplyDelete