Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe

Description

Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Cheese Spread for Crackers

I did not particularly like this spread decades ago, my mother-in-law using mayonnaise, (scrapping tongue), for the base. Himself, though, loved it. I changed the non-recipe, making the spread more Debra-friendly. Most mayo is filled with soy, canola, sugars, and other ingredients I will not ingest. ugh... I use all organic and/or GMO-free ingredients.

Debra's Cheese Spread

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 small jar pimentos, drained and rinsed (optional)
2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer Tillamook. Mild, medium, or sharp are all good.)
salt, pepper and garlic to taste
sploosh of whole milk

Put the cream cheese into a food processor*. Pulse to bring to a creamy state. Add cheese and preferred seasonings. Blend or pulse until fulled mixed in. This will be stiff. You can skip the next part and add pulse or knead in pimentos, more seasonings, and other ingredients, then form into a ball and chill until firm if you want a cheese ball. I digressed...

Add a sploosh, maybe 1/4 of a cup, to the mixture and blend until the consistency of spread you prefer. Then pulse in pimentos, just enough to blend thoroughly. Scrap into a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

This is excellent on crackers, (my homemade ones, of course), and toasted nibblie-types of breads.

Note: The photo above of the spread does not include the pimentos. I had not liked them until I found that draining and rinsing them was more to my taste, for some reason. It is still very good without the pimentos.

*The spread is easier to make in a food processor. A good blender may work, or by hand. I found the stick blender sucks at mixing this spread. By hand, it takes some time, and the cheese does not get as fine a shred as by using a food processor. Shredding the cheese finer than I usually use may help if mixing by hand, as I had done at first.

1 comment :

  1. It sounds really good. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete