Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds

We loved the honey roasted sunflower seeds found at the store... until I read the ingredients. Ugh. We like them on salads, in my cereal recipe, (see Recipes link), and for snacking.

I roast seeds and nuts before storing in the freezer, why not make the roasted sunflower seeds with the full honey-added version? It means I can control the ingredients and make sure the seeds are organically grown. I wrote down a couple of recipes from online. They are pretty much the same, except for the coconut oil content. I slightly changed the recipes to barely any oil. I found the recipes presented were a bit more than needed. I like coconut oil, I do not like overly greasy hand snacks.

The recipe below is my tweaked version, which we find to be perfect... for us, at least.

Oh... I usually double or triple the recipe below, and keep most of the seeds in the freezer in a zippy bag.

Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds

2 cups raw sunflower seeds
3 tbsp raw honey, slightly warmed (do not go over 90°F)
1 tbsp coconut oil, slightly warmed to liquid-state
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Warm the coconut oil and honey to barely 90°F, making it just liquid enough to blend into the seeds. Mix all ingredients together well. Arrange as singly as possible on a large parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and gently stir around the seeds. Place back in the oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until seeds are golden. You MUST watch the seeds carefully or they WILL burn.

Cool completely. The seeds will be like candy brittle, so to speak. Break the seeds apart.. They will break apart nicely, really. Store in an air-tight container.

Keeps for... I have no clue. They covered quart bowl I use is empty in a week.  I do make doubled or tripled batches at a time and freeze them in a zippy bag. I have no clue as to when they have been frozen for too long for the same reason as the ones in my cupboard.

Deb

I am a bit ecclectic. This blog is whimsical musings about my various interests and sharing things I am learning. If anything, it will be a good sleeping pill, no?

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy! Do you have bees yet? I can't remember and I am going to set up with bees again this coming spring. If you do any hints? Pop over to the blog back in business again.

    ReplyDelete