Marshmallow Fudge Recipe Homemade Bearclaws Recipe How to Dehydrate Kale Knitted Bully Gloves Homemade Felt Book Cover Homemade Vegetable Crackers Recipe Hand-beaded Purse Clasp My Best Lard Soap Recipe DIY Comfrey Blend Salve Recipe Italian-Style Zucchini Sauce Recipe Knitted Fish Hat DIY Plywood Plank Flooring Chocolate Hand Pies Quilt Curtains Killer Pizza Dough Recipe Hempalicious Soap Recipe Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds Dragon Locker Hooked Rug Chamomile & Calendula Salve Recipe Pit Cream Maple Honey Nut Cereal Recipe

Description

Personal blatherings, living simply, gardening, cooking, canning, dehydrating, knitting, spinning and more.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Felted Book Covers

I have so much wool, I decided to try my hand at felt. Wait... I already mentioned that, did I not? The mind wanders...


That first bit of felt I fubar'd is above. It did not look like I fulled it completely, so I put it in the washer to really get it fully felted....

AFTER I CUT IT! Arg!!!

Needless to say, it did not fit the intended book. I cut it down to fit my new book by Barbara Moore- "Tarot for Beginners". I know I am not a beginner, but I found beginner books very enlightening and I love Barbara Moore's work. The covers of books are so thin now, this will keep my copy's cover in good shape.

I beaded two hemitite cabs and attached them to the straps after adding the biggest snaps one has seen. Finding sew-on snaps is hard enough. It seems people prefer velcro, if you can find anyone who actually sews these days. I prefer snaps that are 10mm to 12mm, but these puppies are way bigger. Snaps are secure and do not catch the way velcro does, snagging everything. I prefer thin bookmarks. They do not mess up the book. I used jumbo rick-rack for this cover, attaching beads to the end. I attached the bookmark at the bottom and have to going from bottom to top. I do not like it when they come from the top and get all smooshed if you put the book on a shelf.

This is my second attempt at felt. I made this cover for Kaitlyn's birthday prezzie to cover her copy of Janina Renée's- "Tarot for a New Generation". Perfect for one new to tarot. The cover, like the cover for her deck, hides these items from those of her family who are horrified by the tarot.

I used a combo of various colored wools in colors she loves. The cabs are simulated turquoise. (I did not have real turquoise cabs.) I beaded around them too, and used the last of my preferred smaller-large snaps. There is a second snap further down the straps for added security. I used leftover purple ribbon I used for my grandson's Undertaker hat as the bookmark, beading the end that hangs over.

I think she will like this and her beaded tarot box/deck for her birthday next month.

I am to the heel of one pair of socks. Short socks. I still have not perfected knee socks. I make the tops long for folding my socks over. Yes, I am child-like when I wear my socks. I prefer the cuff and how they cushion my skinny ankles.

I also made some beaded items I cannot photograph or show at this time because they are prezzies.

No comments :

Post a Comment