Hot Milk Cake

This recipe was posted a while back. While I was cleaning up some old posts, I accidentally pulled it from the post... and I cannot remember which one. Strangely, I have the original post text though. laughing...

I had been on the look out for a good, basic plain cake recipe. I want it as the base of my Raspberry Zinger Cake, or for other cakes of that nature. I know, I eat organic. So what? Not having dessert and nibbling on nuts and berries as a substitute is a quality of life thing. I am a proud American of Celtic ancestry, not a squirrel.

I found a Hot Milk Cake recipe that is perfect. At my elevation of about 2200', (and one that is ignored in recipes by all "experts" except for canning recipes), I have issues if I do not use the recipe changes for cakes baked at 3000' and above. The middle sinks- a little or most of the cake becomes a crater. I am a very good cook and knew something was not right. After researching, the USDA, of all "people", noted that elevation changes are needed at 2000' and above. It turns out they are right. This recipe had a very slight indent that was hard to find except by taking a photo. The recipe is below, along with a link to the original. The photos in this are are of the cake unfrosted. The frosted one below, I made and used chocolate buttercream. It was very good.

From Taste of Home:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hot-milk-cake/

Hot Milk Cake


This cake takes about 10 to 20 minutes to put together. I use  fresh, soy-free eggs and for the rest of the ingredients, I used organic/GMO-free. If you care about the calories and other stuff, go to their website, above, for their stats using their suggested form of ingredients. I am putting how I made it, not the site's. Go to the site if you want their method.






4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups WHOLE milk (low/non-fat milk ruins baked goods texture and flavor)
10 tbsp REAL butter, cubed (that is one whole cube or 1/2 cup, + 2 more tbsp)

In a large bowl, beat the eggs on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy; add in vanilla and beat until just mixed in.

Combine flour and baking powder.

In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted.

Stir flour mixture into batter. Slowly add milk mixture to batter; beat or stir in, just until combined. (Over-beating is as bad as under-beating.)

Pour into a buttered and floured 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. (I have no clue as to the times for two 8" or 9" pans- most likely 25 minutes or so.)

Frost with favorite frosting when cool. I made Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, as stated above.

They say- Yield: 12-16 servings, (sure- if cut for small children, those on strict diets, or only allowed to eat teeny-weeny squares because someone is a stingy git).

Normal servings yield for consenting adults: 8.

Deb

I am a bit ecclectic. This blog is whimsical musings about my various interests and sharing things I am learning. If anything, it will be a good sleeping pill, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment